Sunday, October 25, 2015

Research Questions

1. Do college students get enough sleep in their busy schedules? Does it affect their results in school negatively or positively?
For this question, I will make a survey for my friends in college to fill out. I will include friends from Iowa, and other schools ranging in size and state differences. That will help me get a wide variety of answers. I will begin the survey by asking how many hours of sleep students get every night (Sunday-Saturday). I will then ask how they feel throughout the day and if they take naps. Then, I will be interested in how they spend their days, and what a typical day looks like. I will also ask how much time they spend on homework, how early in advance they study for tests, and how late they typically stay up doing homework. Do they use technology before they go to bed (like watch TV, listen to music, and such) and how late do they typically stay up doing that? I will then ask if they are achieving their fullest potential in school and if they are proud of their grades. I don't think I will ask directly what their grades are, but rather ask if they consider their grades to be "successful." I think by relating these questions, I will be able to connect the amount of sleep college students get with their successfulness in school.

2. Are students prepared enough to transition from high school to college? Do students have enough capabilities to live on their own?
I will also use a survey for this question. As with the first one, I will ask college students from different schools, but I also want to try and get different ages and students with different experiences. I will start off and ask how often they were independent at home and how many household items/chores they typically did. I will then ask how often they spent time with friends and family which could relate to being homesick while away from home. I can then ask if there has been anything at college that they haven't been able to complete because they didn't know how (something simple). Also, I will ask students if they've experienced something they've never experienced before, or tried something new since coming to school. Also, I want to ask if they've had to go grocery shopping or manage their time more effectively and how much money they spend weekly. I think by relating these questions, I will be able to get an impression as to how students at college are able to adapt from being away at home.

The stories between the Freaknonomics book and "An Economist Sells Bagels" has its similarities and differences. They are both giving off information relating to the profits that are made from the jobs he held. The paragraphs are both well descriptive and explain the process he went through and then gave evidence as to why he is saying what it is. The very first difference I notice is that in "An Economist Sells Bagels," it begins with a title page and an abstract. Since it is a paper, there is room and space to give off this information. It is a long report, so giving off the basics of the experiment first will help those who are reading get a grip on the whole process. Also, in that same article, he uses more technical terms and gets farther in depth. I believe this is so because it is longer and it is allowed the space. In the Freakonomics book, it s more descriptive and not as technical. Another difference I found was that "An Economist Sells Bagels" uses in texts citations and directly quotes the author with the information he was researching. There are a lot of similarities and differences between the texts, but they both indirectly relate the same information.

No comments:

Post a Comment