Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Topic Proposal

1. As a student on a very large campus, I feel as though there are not enough emergency poles placed throughout our campus. Since it is winter, it gets darker a lot earlier, which can create fear in students of walking home. Not only should they be placed on campus, but as well as near off campus housing. As a girl, I know I get scared I night when I'm walking places, and I never know if there were an emergency to happen, where the nearest emergency pole is.
2. With such a large campus, there should be more emergency poles placed throughout places by campus to ensure the safety of students and faculty. Our campus is located near downtown Iowa City, it's not a remote location. So, anyone can easily walk onto our campus and create harm. There are many cases of sexual assault and crimes on our campus that could possibly be avoided from emergency poles. It takes a lot longer in a time of need to call 911 rather than pressing a button on a pole.
3. I chose this topic because just last week, I received an e-mail and phone call at 4 in the morning saying that there has been 3 cases of sexual assault. Personally, I was afraid to go back to sleep because I had a 7:30 am class the next morning and was in fear that this person may still be outside. I rode the bus and made sure to stay in public areas. Around 2, my best friend called me, balling, I could hardly interpret anything she was saying besides "come home" and "he touched me." I was very scared for her so I went back, and in the broad daylight, she had been sexually assaulted by the same guy who sexaully assaulted the other people earlier. She was in need of an emergency pole, where she could run to the pole and press the button, and then go to somewhere safe. Rather, she had to run back to her dorm and then someone called 911 for her. Between all that time, this guy could've easily escaped and left. Luckily, they did catch him, but that's no excuse as to why there shouldn't be more emergency poles placed throughout and near campus.
4. I will interview my friend that it happened to, other students, and my TA. I feel like getting information pertaining from these people will give a wide range as to how they feel on campus and if they agree with my argument. I will also research information online about sexual assaults on college campuses and how students feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment